I'm a journalist, publisher, author and expat in Thailand since 1999. Contact me through Facebook

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What Will My Wife Inherit?

Question:
I have children back home from a previous marriage and have a savings account there as well. My wife is Thai and we are living in Thailand. We bought a house in Thailand in her name before we married. I wonder what my wife will inherit.
Sincerely, A. T.

Answer:
Some people choose to do this the easy way: Let your wife keep the house in Thailand, and let your children share the amount of money back home between them. When I say, “let her keep the house,” it's in fact redundant, since it’s already in her name and your Norwegian heirs cannot make any claims on this house. The reason is that real estate in Thailand owned by Thais who marry foreigners remain the separate property of the Thai party, since foreigners here cannot own land.
If you have assets in your own name (for example a car or a condo) in Thailand, you should write a will here. It will make the process for your heirs much easier and faster. If your only investment in Thailand is the house in your wife's name, then there’s no need for a will if it only says that she will inherit the house.
(From Thailands Tidende Issue 1/2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment